First of all, it worked for us in the past to have 2 separate parties: one for the family at dinner time, and one for friends at lunch time. Here is my usual must-do list when it comes to kids' birthday parties:
- Balloons! Nothing screams "partaaaay!!" like balloons. Make sure to put a bunch outside the front door so people know where the birthday child is. Have few more bunches throughout the house - I put mine on top of the piano where all the gifts go :). It is also a good idea to attach single balloons to the chairs;
- Any hanging (from the ceiling) decorations make big difference;
- Garlands - on the table, on the staircase, attached to the pergola outside;
- Tulle makes an awesome decoration, whether it's arranged above the door/arch or simply on the table in a zigzag or around a vase, for example;
- Table clothes - inside and outside - those are awesome for setting the theme of the party
- Cake or cupcakes! Who doesn't like those??
- Favors. I consider those optional as I personally don't think it's useful to have a bunch for trinkets/junk to give out to kids..Unless I come up with an idea of something useful, I'd rather skip those. This year, for Olivia's 4th birthday, we had princess plastic cups with stickers and a necklace/bracelet set as favors. I hope kids liked it? My other idea was to get a big bottle with bubbles, tie a string/bow to it, and call it "the princess/royal bubbles";
- Kids' activities: coloring pages, craft, games. What else?
- Pinata!! We have had pinatas for every single of Olivia's birthdays, and they are always the hit of the party! Besides candy, I try to put non-candy alternatives, including the gold fish snack;
- Tasty food and drinks for kids!
So here is the plan I followed for Olivia's kids' birthday:
- When kids arrived, they went straight to the dining room (set as a craft) table to color the pages and create a tiara;
- With tiara on their heads, we did a photo op by the wall with the princess curtains background (and then I mailed the good pictures with Thank You notes after the party);
- Lunch;
- Play "Pin the tiara game" while blindfolded;
- Pinata - I had to pass the "Walgreens" and "Target" plastic bags for kids to put their treasures in ;)
- Cake;
- Opening the presents.
This is how it works for our family. Please don't hesitate to give me more ideas of what worked for you in the past on celebrating the kids' birthdays. I am still learning, and I am always thankful for the input.
No comments:
Post a Comment